How To Sell Benefits Of A Product or Service
Today we’ll nail down selling product benefits, and make it nice and simple, as well.
I’ve been in sales of one form or another, since 1989. And one thing that’s proven to be true, over and over again… is that no one likes to be sold anything.
Yet, at the same time… nothing gets bought, unless it gets sold first.
Which means, as a salesperson — and this is true whether you’re selling in print, in person, or over the phone — you have to straddle a fine line between “pushing” and “informing,” and “selling.”
To do any of these things effectively, you need ammo. And the best kind of ammunition is the kind your customers and clients can feel good about getting lost in. Things like really strong benefits.
Lots of people struggle when it comes to identifying specific benefits. So today, I thought it’d be helpful to go through a short exercise in identifying benefits.
One of the simplest things you can do is to write down all the reasons why people your customers “might” want to buy what you’re selling.
Then, you come up with a supporting argument for each one of these things, based on an emotion, or a creature comfort. If there’s no supporting argument, then you can pretty much eliminate the item in the first place.
Let’s take a look at how you might do this, if you’re selling something simple, like… an outdoor patio table.
First, let’s get started with all the reasons why someone might want to buy the table:
2. Neutral color
3. Easy to assemble
4. Assembles quickly
5. 90-Day Guarantee
6. Coated with a special new polymer
7. Comes with a detachable optional 40-pound umbrella anchor
8. Can’t rust
9. Shatterproof Lightweight new glass table top
Now I’m not an outdoor patio table expert, by a long-shot. But these are probably a reasonable enough number of benefits to start with, right?
So let’s look at how you might emotionalize or amplify the benefits of each one of these features:
1. Lightweight – Anyone can move it, any time. Means you can use it anywhere on your deck or back yard
2. Neutral color – Goes with virtually every setting, no need to worry about the table looking out of place, especially with its classic shape and style.
3. Easy to assemble – No need to hire anyone to help you, assembles in 5 easy steps. Anyone from age 13 and up can set this table up, anywhere
4. Assembles quickly – Which means you can buy it and start using it, immediately.
5. 90-Day Guarantee – Take it home, try it out for 90 days at no risk. If you’re not happy, bring it back for a 100% refund
6. Coated with a special new polymer – Makes clean-up VERY easy, plus… the table holds up to even the worst outdoor rain and snow
7. Comes with an optional 40-pound umbrella anchor – guarantees your umbrella and this table will NEVER blow over, no matter how strong the wind is
8. Can’t rust – Which is why the table is guaranteed to last 12 years or more
9. Shatterproof Lightweight new glass table top – means no heavy glass to worry about dropping, when you’re setting up your table
Pretty straight-forward, right?
See how when you break things down, they tend to be a lot easier to handle?
Of course. And this is true for pretty much every aspect of writing copy, marketing, developing strategy, and so on.
Like the expression goes… You don’t swallow the elephant whole. You eat it one bite… at a time.
Have a great weekend.
Now go sell something, Craig Garber
P.S. 12 Special Reports, yours free – download ’em now
How To Make Maximum Money With Minimum Customers:
The Chocolate Maiden’s Misty Summer Morning – Assemble Head In Sunburst Sound (2009)