business strategy consulting: why people buy and how to prove it
In my Seductive Selling System, one of the emotional buy buttons I cover has to do with people taking action because, frankly… “everyone else is doing it.” So for instance, one of the reasons why people will buy things is because other people have done the same thing.
The thinking goes, “if it’s good enough for this many people in similar circumstances, then it’s good enough for me.” Kind of like lemmings going over the cliff, in a roundabout way, no?
But maybe not…
See, this happens because people need to feel a sense of belonging. Some feel this need in different ways, of course. They measure or validate their own thoughts and their own actions, by looking at what others are doing. And in many cases, this is a good thing, especially when you’re trying to sell to the masses.
But you can’t just say “something’s popular,” to make this sale. You need to prove it to your buyers. So let’s take a look at a two different ways of doing this.
Both of them have to do with being specific. The first way is where you prove popularity based on the number of units sold, like this:
* In the first weekend alone, over 375,000 families watched this movie. They laughed, they cried, and none of them wanted it to end.
* Last year 1,117 people applied for admission to this program. Less than 175 were accepted and the waiting list was filled to capacity for over 7 months after the program launched.
* Our reserves are solid – backed by over 2,119,000 policy holders who’ve been with us an average of 4 and a half years.
Now the other way to prove this sense of belonging, is to be specific about the kinds of buyers. It’s like taking that first method one level deeper.
In this situation, you might say things like this:
* In a double-bind study, 92.8% of all first-time moms preferred the ease and convenience of these diapers.
* 75% of all homes here in the Boston area rely on our security systems to keep their families safe at night.
* In Japan, over 1 million teenagers aged 12 – 14 watch this television show every single day. And now, for a limited time only, you can watch this same series at home, only without the commercials.
See, many of these lines are appealing and you don’t even know what the product is! And that’s simply because of the power this form of social proof brings to the table.
So make sure… you use it, whenever you can.
Now go sell something, Craig Garber
P.S. “How to write a sales letter that actually sells: All the copywriting secrets you ever wanted to know but were afraid to ask,” starting on page 274 (over 50 pages long) inside “How To Make Maximum Money With Minimum Customers.” Ships out today via US First Class Priority Mail. And…
I am so convinced “How To Make Maximum Money With Minimum Customers” will create dramatic and almost immediate increases in sales and cash-flow in your business… it comes with a LIFETIME guarantee!
Now yours: not one but two FREE issues of Seductive Selling, along with 18 free (REAL) gifts that get you more leads… increase your conversion rates… and give you literally dozens of easy to use, breakthrough new marketing strategies. Watch them on this video, right NOW!
Maximum Money FAQs
Maximum Money QAFs
Copywriting and direct marketing resources
Marketing videos that answer your toughest questions
If you enjoyed this, forward it on to a few of your friends and business associates. And if you have any comments, just leave them here on my blog